How can I prevent hypoglycemia before exercise?
- Start exercise at a glucose above 140 mg/dl.
- Reduce bolus insulin.
- Try reducing basal insulin.
- Don’t eat too close to exercise (aim for at least 30-60 minutes before)
- Experiment with different foods before exercise.
- Try different foods during exercise.
Can you exercise if you have hypoglycemia? If you want to continue your workout, you will usually need to take a break to treat your low blood sugar. Check to make sure your blood sugar has come back up above 100 mg/dl before starting to exercise again. Keep in mind that low blood sugar can occur during or long after physical activity.
What helps exercise induced hypoglycemia? Try to have a large, carbohydrate-heavy meal at least three hours before your workout so that you have plenty of stored glucose when you start your exercise. Throughout the day, eat six small meals and snacks rather than the traditional three large daily meals.
What can I eat immediately with hypoglycemia?
- Candy. When hypoglycemia occurs, patients should follow the 15-15 rule.
- Fresh or dried fruit. Fruits that provide the appropriate amount of carbohydrates include half a banana, 15 grapes, two tablespoons of raisins or a small apple or orange.
- Fruit juice.
- Fat-free milk.