How do I keep blood sugar from dropping when I exercise?
- Start exercise at a glucose above 140 mg/dl.
- Reduce bolus insulin.
- Try reducing basal insulin.
- Don’t eat too close to exercise (aim for at least 30-60 minutes before)
- Experiment with different foods before exercise.
- Try different foods during exercise.
What should I eat before a workout for low blood sugar?
- Fruit + protein (examples: apple with a tablespoon of peanut butter, berries, and a few slices of turkey or nuts)
- Starch + protein (examples: whole grain crackers and cheese or 1/2 sandwich)
- Light yogurt.
How can I raise my blood sugar before exercise? Eat a small snack containing 15 to 30 grams of carbohydrates, such as fruit juice, fruit, crackers or even glucose tablets before you begin your workout. 100 to 250 mg/dL (5.6 to 13.9 mmol/L). You’re good to go. For most people, this is a safe pre-exercise blood sugar range.
What should you eat to avoid low blood sugar?
- Candy. When hypoglycemia occurs, patients should follow the 15-15 rule.
- Fresh or dried fruit. Fruits that provide the appropriate amount of carbohydrates include half a banana, 15 grapes, two tablespoons of raisins or a small apple or orange.
- Fruit juice.
- Fat-free milk.