How do you mentally prepare for the holidays?
- Stick to normal routines as much as possible.
- Get enough sleep or rest.
- Take time for yourself, but don’t isolate yourself.
- Eat and drink in moderation and don’t drink alcohol if you are feeling down.
- Get exercise, even if it’s only taking a short walk.
How can I reduce my anxiety during the holidays?
- Stress and depression during the holidays are commonly associated with:
- Get enough rest.
- Find time to visit with friends and have some fun.
- Develop a holiday budget.
- Use your calendar to plan specific days for shopping, baking, and visiting friends.
- Get some fresh air.
How do you survive the mental holidays?
- Acknowledge your feelings.
- Reach out.
- Be realistic.
- Set aside differences.
- Stick to a budget.
- Plan ahead.
- Learn to say no.
- Don’t abandon healthy habits.
Why are holidays tough on mental health? The reasons given: lack of time, financial pressure, gift-giving, and family gatherings. To make matters worse, the National Alliance on Mental Illness noted that 64% of individuals living with a mental illness felt that their conditions worsened around the holidays.