What is the best meal to eat before a workout?
- Whole grain toast, peanut or almond butter and banana slices.
- Chicken thighs, rice and steamed vegetables.
- Oatmeal, protein powder and blueberries.
- Scrambled eggs, veggies and avocado.
- Protein smoothie.
What should I not eat before a workout?
- Granola or Protein Bars. 1/12. These might seem like a good idea before you hit the gym, but there’s no clear definition of what they really are.
- High-Fiber Vegetables. 2/12.
- High-Fat Food. 3/12.
- Yogurt. 4/12.
- Smoothies. 5/12.
- Flaxseed. 6/12.
- Fast Food. 7/12.
- Energy Drinks. 8/12.
Is it OK to workout on an empty stomach? Working out on an empty stomach won’t hurt you—and it may actually help, depending on your goal. But first, the downsides. Exercising before eating comes with the risk of “bonking”—the actual sports term for feeling lethargic or light-headed due to low blood sugar.
Is it better to eat before or after a workout? Eat after you exercise
To help your muscles recover and to replace their glycogen stores, eat a meal that contains both carbohydrates and protein within two hours of your exercise session if possible. Consider a snack if your meal is more than two hours away. Good post-workout food choices include: Yogurt and fruit.