What is the best thing to eat before a workout?
- Fruit smoothies.
- Yogurt parfaits with granola and fruit.
- Whole grain bread with a couple of slices of lean meat.
- Chicken with rice and vegetables.
- Apples with peanut butter and raisins.
- Greek yogurt.
What should you not eat before a workout?
- Granola or Protein Bars. 1/12. These might seem like a good idea before you hit the gym, but there’s no clear definition of what they really are.
- High-Fiber Vegetables. 2/12.
- High-Fat Food. 3/12.
- Yogurt. 4/12.
- Smoothies. 5/12.
- Flaxseed. 6/12.
- Fast Food. 7/12.
- Energy Drinks. 8/12.
When should I eat before workout? Ideally, a person should eat a meal rich in complex carbohydrates and protein around 2–3 hours before exercising. Waiting a few hours after eating allows the body enough time to digest the meal. Alternately, a person may prefer a smaller meal that is mostly made up of simple carbohydrates.
How much should I eat before a workout? Quick Tips for Eating and Drinking Before a Race/Event
Timing: Ideal for most people is to eat 2-4 hours before an activity, up to about 1,000 nutritious calories. Consume 300-400 calories if lead time is much shorter (e.g., early morning workouts).