What should you not do before exercise?
- Don’t eat a lot right before working out.
- Don’t start exercising without a goal.
- Skip static stretching before your workout.
- Don’t drink alcoholic beverages.
- Don’t drink too much water.
What is the best thing to eat before a workout?
- Fruit smoothies.
- Yogurt parfaits with granola and fruit.
- Whole grain bread with a couple of slices of lean meat.
- Chicken with rice and vegetables.
- Apples with peanut butter and raisins.
- Greek yogurt.
Is it OK to not eat before exercise? Working out on an empty stomach won’t hurt you—and it may actually help, depending on your goal. But first, the downsides. Exercising before eating comes with the risk of “bonking”—the actual sports term for feeling lethargic or light-headed due to low blood sugar.
Will I burn more fat if I don’t eat before a workout? “When you exercise (without eating), fat is broken down more quickly in the muscle,” said Andrew Greenberg, director of the Obesity and Metabolism Laboratory at Tufts University. “You may enhance how you burn the fat in the muscles, but it doesn’t affect your overall body fat,” Greenberg said.